[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] [ANNOUNCE] Sucrose 0.83.4 Development Release

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Fri Jan 23 04:45:15 EST 2009

Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> Use the recommended style as mentioned in Git documentation somewhere:
> First line a summary of at most 40 chars, then empty line, then optional
> detailed commit message (which is stripped by git-shortlog).
>
> Also, I'd suggest mentioning ticket numbers at end instead, in the style
> used by Debian. Example:
>
> Fix foobar -> barbaz. Closes: SL#1234, OLPC#1235.
>
> The logic is to always prepend "Closes: " and then either "SL#"
> or "#" for each comma-separated ticket closed, or prepend "OLPC#"
> for tickets closed at the laptop.org bugtracker.

Some thoughts:

 - Because the commit message summary appears in the shortlog,
   it should be kept below 74 characters to avoid ugly wrapping.

 - Given the above, the word "Closes: " steals precious characters,
   and is rather easy to deduce, therefore I'd opt it out.

 - The leading dot at the end should not be included because
   it looks super ugly in the subject of an email.

 - To reduce clutter, I'd make the "SL" prefix implied, and leave
   other prefixes such as OLPC#123 and RH#456 explicit.

Do we have a wiki page where we can document these practices?

--
   // Bernie Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/
 \X/  Sugar Labs       - http://www.sugarlabs.org/