[Sugar-devel] jhbuild obsoleted itself:)

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Mon Jan 19 08:24:05 EST 2009

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 10:46, Martin Dengler <martin at martindengler.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 05:15:53PM -0800, Edward Cherlin wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 1:15 PM, David Farning <dfarning at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
>> > I have just gone through the wiki and deleted the
>> > developmentteam/jhbuild/* pages:)
>> >
>> > These pages were created in around June of 2008 when jhbuild was the
>> > only method for running Sugar on non-XO platforms.  Now that we have
>> > packages for several distributions and will be using the distributions
>> > as our primary means of delivery,
>>
>> But we cannot do that today.
>
> David's "will be using" seems pretty consistent with your statement.
>
>> The Activity packages that exist have serious bugs, and most .xo
>> bundles simply will not run on these other platforms in the packaged
>> Sugar environments. Please put those pages back.
>
> I fail to see how those pages will help someone who has a problem with
> their distro's packages.  As pointed out, they are/were out-of-date
> and useless to people not willing to a) install a load of packages; 2)
> do a lot of git clones; d) understand a lot about installing a new
> bundle in a sugar-jhbuild directory tree.
>
> The solution is better packages, IMHO.  But then again, I've neither
> made any packages nor updated the jhbuild wiki pages recently, so
> nobody should really listen to me.
>
>> We need as much information as possible about how jhbuild
>> has been put on Ubuntu and other distros, in order to support building
>> it on yet more distros.
>
> The jhbuild pages I thought we were talking about were just about
> installing jhbuild, not packaging sugar (which is different than "how
> jhbuild has been put on . . . distros").

The point that I was trying to make is that distro-specific notes
shouldn't be needed any more because jhbuild will check if the needed
packages are already installed and will tell the user which are
missing. So no need to have this info in a wiki page.

For people willing to use jhbuild in a platform not currently
supported, all they have to do is to write a file similar to these in
the link below and submit it to us:

http://git.sugarlabs.org/projects/sugar-jhbuild/repos/mainline/trees/master/config/sysdeps

I believe it will be easier than maintaining wiki pages.

Regards,

Tomeu