[Sugar-devel] jhbuild obsoleted itself:)

Bobby Powers bobbypowers at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 12:53:53 EST 2009

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 12:37 PM, Mikus Grinbergs <mikus at bga.com> wrote:
>> I have just gone through the wiki and deleted the
>> developmentteam/jhbuild/* pages:)
>>
>> These pages were created in around June of 2008 when jhbuild was the
>> only method for running Sugar on non-XO platforms.  Now that we have
>> packages for several distributions and will be using the distributions
>> as our primary means of delivery, it makes sense to reduce the
>> emphasis of jhbuild as a method for delivering Sugar to end-users.
>
> I am not currently a git user because git appears to not support a
> proxy (and to try to bypass that proxy I would need rewiring the
> place).  But jhbuild looks like the principal alternative to my
> having to wait for someone to supply me with a binary for my XO.
>
> I am concerned that 1cc is now focusing on Windows (for instance,
> see what kind of tickets have recently been posted to laptop.org
> trac).  Should binaries (with updated Sugar content) for the XO-1
> platform cease to be available, would the jhbuild environment you
> envision be able to create a build for the XO-1 platform ?

jhbuild just builds bleeding edge versions of Sugar and its
dependencies from the git repositories.  To create builds for the
laptop you need a tool such as:
puritan (fedora, m_stone's newish python build tool):
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Puritan
pilgrim (fedora, what most olpc builds are created using):
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Pilgrim
xodist (debian, used to make debxo): http://wiki.laptop.org/go/DebXO#Hacking
rpmxo (similar to xodist for rpms):
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Erik_Garrison/rpmxo