[Sugar-devel] feature freeze issue #3: resume by default

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Sat Jan 17 10:30:51 EST 2009

On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 15:54, Sascha Silbe
<sascha-ml-ui-sugar-devel at silbe.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 02:45:54PM +0100, Simon Schampijer wrote:
>
>> Issues: We do not have a don't save those changes option. If you resume by
>> default you could overwrite something you needed. So we loose the undo
>> functionality.
>
> That sounds _REALLY_ bad. I remember looking at some versioning proposal,
> what happened to that one?

Well, clicking on the activity icon in the favorites view will now
resume the last activity entry in exactly the same way as if the user
clicked on its icon in the journal.

It's true that we would like to store all the intermediate versions
and allow the user to work with each of them, but we haven't gotten to
implement it in something that can be released.

So the change here is that we have given more prominence to resume
operations and have moved starting up new activities to a second
place. But we haven't really changed the mechanics by which activities
get stored in the journal.

After talking for some time with Simon, we have agreed on requesting
input from people willing to install the last code and giving it a
try. We would love to hear about suggestions and are willing to delay
for a few days the release in case we find that something can be done
and that we won't be regressing in any way regarding past releases.

If we find this is not possible given our schedule constraints, we
will back this change out and revert to the old behaviour.

Thanks,

Tomeu