[Sugar-devel] Fwd: Google Summer of Code 2009 is a go!

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Tue Jan 13 12:18:23 EST 2009

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 18:10, Marco Pesenti Gritti
<marcopg at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 12:04 AM, Mel Chua <mel at melchua.com> wrote:
>>> A gsoc program that does not
>>> support activity development or activity toolchains would be
>>> dramatically different.
>>
>> It would be quite different. Is this bad? OLPC, SL, and the software
>> projects they work on were also in a dramatically different state a year
>> ago. Can you help me understand your concerns with the current SL GSoC plan?
>
> Something which changed a lot is the availability of the core
> development team to mentor external people. We used to be on crazy
> deadlines and all focused on doing customer critical work because of
> our employment status. The top priority these days is on growing the
> team and obsolete ourself.

These days I'm amazed at the amount of stuff I'm capable to do when I
don't have to switch between building packages, waiting for builds to
happen (or fail), testing images, attending meetings, keeping trac
bureaucracy, etc

In SugarLabs, if we can keep people focused on what they are good on,
we are going to see a very efficient organization.

Regards,

Tomeu