[Sugar-devel] idea for Sugar slogan and name

imm ian.m.macarthur at talktalk.net
Sun Jan 11 10:11:59 EST 2009

On 11 Jan 2009, at 9:34, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 20:13, Bryan Berry <bryan at olenepal.org> wrote:
>> I came up w/ an idea that would help us market Sugar to the general
>> public. We need a slogan expresses what Sugar allows kids to do, its
>> purpose, and puts a positive image in the minds of most people.

> What about "Sugar: a playground where kids learn and play"?

[My opinions carry no weight, please feel free to ignore my following
ramblings.]

Bryan suggests that Sugar could benefit from a slogan to sum up its
role for a general audience. This seems, to me, to be a very good
idea. His initial suggestions are:-

"Sugarland: Where Kids Learn and Play" and "Playground: Where Kids
Learn and Play"

Then, Tomeu responded with:-

"Sugar: a playground where kids learn and play"

Which I think has the merit of emphasising "Sugar", rather than
possibly confusing people by introducing new terms "Sugarland" and
(not obviously related) "Playground".

However, Pol comments that the repetition of the word "play" in this
phrase sounds clumsy, which I guess is a Bad Thing for a slogan...

For my part, I am uneasy about the use of the word "kids", as it
seems to be of variable meaning...
In particular, I recall working with a group of, well, "kids", who
actively disliked any "adult" use of the word "kids" and viewed it is
patronising and negative. Different groups of adults seems to have
similarly variant meanings attached to the word. What it means
depends on who says it, and to whom. Tricky. I would rather not use it.

So, I'd suggest:-

"Sugar: A Place to Learn and Play" or perhaps "Sugar: A Place to Play
and Learn"

I like the second form better. I think that ending on "learn" seems
(to me, at least) to emphasise that aspect of its function. The first
form seems to flow better though. Maybe that's just me.
--
imm