[Sugar-devel] Sugarlabs and GSOC

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 12:19:36 EST 2009

Last year, OLPC handled the sugar educational environment in GSOC. This
year, that responsibility could be split. Sugarlabs, a more traditional
open-source government org, handles Sugar; and OLPC only in one platform
version of that, for Fedora on the XO. It is not clear to me what, if any,
interest in GSOC OLPC will have (they are undergoing some serious
belt-tightening right now, so it's not the best time to ask). Some of last
years' OLPC mentors for GSOC are now associated with Sugarlabs instead.

LH, I've been delegated to ask you what implications that has for what range
of numbers of slots Sugarlabs might reasonably expect. It is emphatically
not our intention to take any slots from OLPC which OLPC can legitimately
use, but it is our impression that OLPC might have a lower number of
interesting applicants this year due to the much-smaller code base that is
still strictly "theirs". There are rumors that GSOC puts "new" organizations
at the end of the line for slots, and we hope that some of OLPC's track
record might rub off on us. In fact, we dare hope that, as a less
heierarchical organization than OLPC, we may actually do a better job than
they did with open source community tasks like GSOC.

Sincerely,
Jameson