[Sugar-devel] Fwd: Google Summer of Code 2009 is a go!

Samuel Klein sj at laptop.org
Thu Jan 8 19:10:33 EST 2009

I'm copying our own gsoc list, and glad to clarify how this should work.

I mentioned to Leslie yesterday that I expected SugarLabs and OLPC
might have  separate GSOC projects this year.  Someone representing SL
should write and formally get on their list of supported
organizations.  [note: this requires tax/ID information for SL]

OLPC is interested in participating in GSOC this year... some of the
projects I imagine would be activities or software for creation that
would work particularly with the XO's hardware, or would help needs in
 OLPC deployments.

It would be alright for both SugarLabs and OLPC to have people working
on code that could be integrated into Sugar (note the different
activity-development and python coding that was done both as an OLPC
SoC project and via other orgs who wanted their projects to be useful
to OLPC as an audience).  It is also possible to submit an application
to more than one organization.

I recommend noting in our organization descriptions (and definition of
what we are looking for) that people who want to develop tools and
features for Sugar should apply to SL, and people who want to develop
things specifically for OLPC deployments, or other software puzzles
specific to XOs, should apply to OLPC.

I would encourage most activity developers and activity mentors to
tackle SoC projects under sugarlabs...

SJ