[Sugar-devel] How to Make Activity Designers Happy , Parts I and II

Chris Ball cjb at laptop.org
Thu Jan 1 23:06:07 EST 2009

Hi Bryan,

   > Sadly, Javascript can't use the Graphics Processing Unit like Flash
   > can. Ouch,

The XO doesn't have much of a GPU, so I wouldn't be so worried about
this.  Any Javascript renderer that backs onto cairo will get as any
other graphics on the XO.

   > Many people will likely hate my promotion of Flash for learning
   > activities. It's OK if you hate me and Flash. I do hope you
   > recognize that we need a more developer-centric activity framework
   > that uses web technologies.

Making activity development easier is an unarguably fine goal, but I
don't think there are any simple solutions.  For example, do we even
have a Flash editor under Linux?  Is the first instruction on how to
write activities for someone in the developing world going to be "First,
pirate a copy of Windows and Adobe Flash Professional, and then.."?

- Chris.
--
Chris Ball   <cjb at laptop.org>