[Sugar-devel] [RELEASE] Calculate 26

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Sat Jan 3 06:37:15 EST 2009

Hi Reinier, nice to hear from you.

On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 01:09, Reinier Heeres <reinier at heeres.eu> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just released a new version of Calculate. I know I missed the feature
> freeze by about a week, but I was still quite busy finishing the code
> refactoring.

We actually moved the dates some time ago, the feature freeze is
actually Jan 16:

http://sugarlabs.org/go/DevelopmentTeam/Release/Roadmap

> Available at:
> XO: http://dev.laptop.org/~rwh/calculate/Calculate-26.xo
> tarball:
> http://dev.laptop.org/pub/sugar/sources/Calculate/Calculate-26.tar.bz2
>
> Many things are improved, from NEWS with a bit more comment:
>
> * Move to new equation parser based on python ast
> Calculate now uses the internal python parser to create an Abstract Syntax
> Tree (ast). The tree for an equation is evaluated by Calculate itself, so
> that operators (mostly divide) can give different results from standard
> python (e.g. return Rational numbers). The way functions, help and constants
> are included is also much improved and easier to extend by modifying the
> files functions.py and constants.py. Speed increase is about a factor 10,
> especially noticeable when plotting. (It's also less code and easier to
> maintain!)
>
> * Refactor sharing
> This is a major improvement and simplifcation. I recommend other activity
> authors and sugar developers to have a look at shareable_activity.py. This
> provides a class to easily create activities that can be shared (by
> inheriting from ShareableActivity). It automatically sets-up a DBus tube and
> a service to communicate between a shared instance. Communication is exposed
> by the function send_message('message_name', param1=1, param2=2, ...) that
> can be processed on the other end through a registered callback or by
> overloading the function message_received(). I think this could really be
> sufficient for most Activities.
>
> I tested on 767 but it is also compatible with newer api. This could also be
> a good reason to use shareable_activity.py: keep sugar-sharing-api-version
> voodoo out of the main activity code and keep it more readable. It could
> result in less overall duplicate code (a good thing!).
>
> * Refactored equation drawing code
> Adding an equation was slow due to the whole list being regenerated. This is
> not the case anymore.
>
> * Add languages: bi, cs, en_US, fi, he, hu, sk, sv, sw, wa
>
> This is a development release and I expect a few bugs; if you find any,
> please report them. Testing is appreciated!
>
> I'm aware that I probably should move this code over to sugarlabs; however,
> I think I don't have access there yet. Marco, Tomeu, Simon, Bernie, any
> pointers?

You don't need to ask for access in order to host the git tree, just
open an account in git.sugarlabs.org and push to your new tree.

http://sugarlabs.org/go/DevelopmentTeam/Git

About uploading tarballs, I think you need to ask for an account to bernie.

Regards,

Tomeu