[Sugar-devel] Location of Saved XO Settings

Luke Faraone luke at faraone.cc
Mon Feb 23 14:10:59 EST 2009

On 2/23/09, Eduardo H. Silva <hoboprimate at gmail.com> wrote:
> This gconf-editor tool should be accessible somewhere in Sugar (the
> control panel?): remember, low floor, high ceiling.

The main concern with making these keys easilly accessible are
twofold: it discourages from implementing the settings in a
user-friendly panel applet (see firefox's about:config or the windows
registry) and secondly it makes it simpler for a child to hose their
setup. Gconf-edit is not meant to be a user-facing tool, but a last
resort when normal configuration tools provided by an app are
insufficent.

For this reason, I think adding the editor to the control panel would
be a mistake.

--
Luke Faraone
http://luke.faraone.cc