[Sugar-devel] resume by default

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Thu Feb 19 14:55:04 EST 2009

On 19 Feb 2009, at 15:23, Simon Schampijer wrote:

> Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> as you may know, we recently added a change to the favorites view
>> that
>> makes easier to resume existing instances instead of always launching
>> new ones.
>>
>> This option is disabled by default and users need to go to a palette
>> and guess what that checkbox serves for.
>>
>> We added that option because the feature was experimental, but now
>> some feel it may be appropriate to make it the only option, because
>> if
>> not the naming alert gets quite annoying in some cases.
>>
>> So, who agrees and who disagrees with changing the favorite view to
>> resume activities by default?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Tomeu
>
> Resume by default - on by default!

+1

The icon rollover high-light isn't quite as pretty yet :-p in resume
mode, but the utility of the change is otherwise good.

I must admit, I do have this underlying urge to be able to create
'new' fresh blank activity from an already instanced activity (I
know... this isn't the model)...

I noticed it with my 2 nieces & 1 nephew (7-10yrs) last month. They
would have a go at say painting, then want to paint something new.
Trying to:

1) show them how to find the stop button (often hidden in a different
tab)
2) get them back to the home view (and not the Journal)
3) get them to start a new paint activity (and wait)

Was quite a challenge (I don't think I really succeeded).

The two youngest both learnt how to make a large white brush and start
painting out their last picture, ready to start again, they didn't
managed to get the hang of changing tabs and using 'edit' -> 'clear',
even though I pointed it out several times.

Not being able to use tabs very well to get to the 'stop' button often
meant that when I popped over to see how they were getting on they
would have just launched many new instances, all left running in the
top frame, each with a different painting. I'm assuming the resume by
default would help as they were getting to the home screen, and a
click would have jumped them back to their previous painting, 'stop'
may have then been something they would have realised they needed to
do/learn, "UNCLE GARY!! How do I make this painting go away? I want to
make another..."

--Gary