[Sugar-devel] Supported methods of starting Sugar

Morgan Collett morgan.collett at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 05:25:37 EST 2009

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 16:22, Sascha Silbe
<sascha-ml-ui-sugar-devel at silbe.org> wrote:

> Different documents and even parts of documents show different ways to run
> sugar. Some examples:
>
> 1. "sugar-jhbuild run" [1]
>    Won't work with up-to-date sugar-jhbuild (I'm using "sugar-jhbuild run
> sugar-emulator" instead, but couldn't find it documented anywhere).
>
> 2. "<path>/sugar-jhbuild run dbus-launch
> <path>/sugar-jhbuild/install/bin/sugar-shell" [1]
>
> 3. "sugar-emulator" [3]
>
> 4. "SUGAR_PROFILE=another_profile sugar-emulator" [3]
>
> 5. "sugar-jhbuild shell" + "sugar-emulator" [4]
>
> 6. "SUGAR_PROFILE=profile-1 sugar" [5]
>

> Which of these methods are supported / supposed to work?
> The reason I ask is that a bug I'm experiencing [6] only occurs for #6, not
> for #3. OTOH, "sugar-jhbuild run sugar-emulator" on Ubuntu intrepid is more
> or less broken because of keyboard issues [7].
>
> While sugar-emulator is useful for debugging / trying out development
> versions in an environment that somewhat resembles an XO, I'd rather like to
> run Sugar without the overhead of Xephyr on a "regular" (i.e.
> non-development) system, i.e. #6 (or rather just "sugar" as SUGAR_PROFILE
> seems to have a default anyway).

If you're running Sugar within a GNOME session, run sugar-emulator for
installed Sugar packages, with the optional SUGAR_PROFILE. If you're
logging in to Sugar directly from gdm, then it should run sugar. You
shouldn't run "sugar" under a regular GNOME session.

> [1] http://sugarlabs.org/go/DevelopmentTeam/Jhbuild#Run_Sugar
> [2]
> http://sugarlabs.org/go/DevelopmentTeam/Jhbuild#Creating_an_xsession_for_Sugar-jhbuild
> [3] http://sugarlabs.org/go/Community/Distributions/Debian#Usage