[Sugar-devel] Fuse module to access datastore files from normal desktop

Torello Querci torello at torosoft.com
Wed Feb 18 04:06:24 EST 2009

Il giorno mar, 17/02/2009 alle 18.09 +0100, Tomeu Vizoso ha scritto:
> > Hi tomeu, regards the fuse datastore module I have this questions:
> >
> > 1 - The title of an activity can contains all the character. But the
> > filesystem canno handle / charater. At the moment this character became
> > \
> > Is this correct?
>
> Yup, sounds good to me.
>
> > 2 - Only activity that are stored data can be accessibile. Is this
> > correct?
>
> Well, all entries have metadata, but not all have actual data. Perhaps
> you could expose them as empty files?
Sure, but it is useful? To have an empty file allow to the user to open
the same application (hops .... activity... :) ) outside the sugar
interface, but this can be done using the normal application launcher.

> > 3 - Nothing is show from activity that no write data file (.
>
> See 2 for a way to attack this.
>
> > 4 - Only title and tags are taken from datastore (and if present the
> > name of the activity).
>
> But you use the mime type as well to determine the extension, right?
Actually I not use the extension. I make some test and the normal
desktop identify the right application to open it (I make some test only
using data that came from Write and Paint activity). If I need to add
the file extension I need to know if the extension associated with the
mime-type. Can you help me?

> > 5 - At the present the fuse module is not updated. We need to specify
> > some refresh criteria
>
> Hmm, do you need to cache the data? Cannot read from the datastore dir
> only on demand?
Actually I read the data only on the start of the module, but can read
it on demand. Only is not so fast because I need to scan all the file in
the datastore.

> > 6 - How to handle the duplicate file? Add an (1), (2), .... or §1,
> > §2 .... etc. Using (n) it is possibile have some error if the user have
> > some activity with (n) at the last of title. Using § is need that the
> > user is not able to insert this character in the title name.
> > Of course it is possible to use other character then §
>
> Tough one, anyone else has ideas here?
>
> > 7 - It is possible to get the comment using extend attribute. It's
> > possibile to get all the datastore attribute using extended attribute.
> > If you think that is usefull I do it.
>
> Not sure many people use xattrs :/
Ok, but is the only way that I find to able the user to get the other
metadata information. Any suggestion?

> > Of course a lot of other thing need to be done, but I suppose to be a
> > good starting point.
>
> An awesome starting point!
>
> > At the moment you can find the binary and source code here
> > http://mk8.codewiz.org/fsg.tar.bz2
> > I hope to move it on gitorious in the next days ....
>
> Good to know. Will give it a look then.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tomeu

Unfortunally I not jet move the code to gitorius .... :( .... It will
came at soon.

Bye, Torello.