[Sugar-devel] Fuse module to access datastore files from normal desktop

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Tue Feb 17 12:09:23 EST 2009

> Hi tomeu, regards the fuse datastore module I have this questions:
>
> 1 - The title of an activity can contains all the character. But the
> filesystem canno handle / charater. At the moment this character became
> \
> Is this correct?

Yup, sounds good to me.

> 2 - Only activity that are stored data can be accessibile. Is this
> correct?

Well, all entries have metadata, but not all have actual data. Perhaps
you could expose them as empty files?

> 3 - Nothing is show from activity that no write data file (.

See 2 for a way to attack this.

> 4 - Only title and tags are taken from datastore (and if present the
> name of the activity).

But you use the mime type as well to determine the extension, right?

> 5 - At the present the fuse module is not updated. We need to specify
> some refresh criteria

Hmm, do you need to cache the data? Cannot read from the datastore dir
only on demand?

> 6 - How to handle the duplicate file? Add an (1), (2), .... or §1,
> §2 .... etc. Using (n) it is possibile have some error if the user have
> some activity with (n) at the last of title. Using § is need that the
> user is not able to insert this character in the title name.
> Of course it is possible to use other character then §

Tough one, anyone else has ideas here?

> 7 - It is possible to get the comment using extend attribute. It's
> possibile to get all the datastore attribute using extended attribute.
> If you think that is usefull I do it.

Not sure many people use xattrs :/

> Of course a lot of other thing need to be done, but I suppose to be a
> good starting point.

An awesome starting point!

> At the moment you can find the binary and source code here
> http://mk8.codewiz.org/fsg.tar.bz2
> I hope to move it on gitorious in the next days ....

Good to know. Will give it a look then.

Thanks,

Tomeu