[Sugar-devel] Which Csound package to go on sugar?

victor Victor.Lazzarini at nuim.ie
Tue Feb 17 09:31:36 EST 2009

Hello everyone,

I have just been playing with the latest sugar on a stick and I have a
suggestion/recommendation. The package 'csound' currently being
included with sugar should be substituted with the package 'olpcsound'.

I have just removed it and replaced it via yum with olpcsound. There
seem to be a lot of advantages to it:

1. csound is 5.03, olpcsound is 5.08
2. csound uses portaudio and portmidi by default, which we don't need and
complains if you don't set OPCODEDIR (in fact it won't work).
olpcsound uses ALSA for everything and this actually performs better,
and there are no complaints there
3. olpcsound is ligther and better designed to integrate with what sugar
needs. It can be expanded if we need extra functionality. A good lot of
effort was put into designing a subset of csound for this, it is a shame
to waste it.
4. Suppport for native pulseaudio IO was only added after 5.08.

How should we act on this?

Victor

Ps.: by the way, congratulations to you all on the SoaS effort, it
works perfectly here, first time I plugged into an ordinary laptop!
I am impressed with it.