[Sugar-devel] Supported methods of starting Sugar

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-devel at silbe.org
Tue Feb 17 09:22:52 EST 2009

Different documents and even parts of documents show different ways to
run sugar. Some examples:

1. "sugar-jhbuild run" [1]
     Won't work with up-to-date sugar-jhbuild (I'm using "sugar-jhbuild
run sugar-emulator" instead, but couldn't find it documented anywhere).

2. "<path>/sugar-jhbuild run dbus-launch
<path>/sugar-jhbuild/install/bin/sugar-shell" [1]

3. "sugar-emulator" [3]

4. "SUGAR_PROFILE=another_profile sugar-emulator" [3]

5. "sugar-jhbuild shell" + "sugar-emulator" [4]

6. "SUGAR_PROFILE=profile-1 sugar" [5]

Which of these methods are supported / supposed to work?
The reason I ask is that a bug I'm experiencing [6] only occurs for #6,
not for #3. OTOH, "sugar-jhbuild run sugar-emulator" on Ubuntu intrepid
is more or less broken because of keyboard issues [7].

While sugar-emulator is useful for debugging / trying out development
versions in an environment that somewhat resembles an XO, I'd rather
like to run Sugar without the overhead of Xephyr on a "regular" (i.e.
non-development) system, i.e. #6 (or rather just "sugar" as
SUGAR_PROFILE seems to have a default anyway).

[1] http://sugarlabs.org/go/DevelopmentTeam/Jhbuild#Run_Sugar
[2]
http://sugarlabs.org/go/DevelopmentTeam/Jhbuild#Creating_an_xsession_for_Sugar-jhbuild
[3] http://sugarlabs.org/go/Community/Distributions/Debian#Usage