[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] addons.sugarlabs.org

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Sun Feb 15 05:25:48 EST 2009

On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 02:40, Gary C Martin <gary at garycmartin.com> wrote:
> On 14 Feb 2009, at 00:54, Luke Faraone wrote:
>
>> Addons is named as such because we expected to host other,
>> non-activity content there, like content bundles.
>
> FWIW: Personally I see content bundles fading out over the short term,
> and being replaced by activities that are basically a minimal browser
> Sugar widget. There would be a minimal template with little more than
> the sugar toolbar, journal and some sharing hooks. Content authors
> could then just copy in their html et al, have the chance to tweak the
> sugar tool UI for their needs, customise the icon, and become a first
> class Sugar object in the UI.
>
> There are several such templates that will help simplify life for
> content providers, others are for swf and perhaps pdf (I have some
> plans to create that template - no intention to overlap with read's
> tasks).

That makes sense and would be really nice if we could really drop
content bundles and just have activities.

I also would prefer http://activities.sugarlabs.org but wonder what
would happen if we need to host some other kind of Sugar "addons" in
the future.

We have been making an effort in the last releases to make more
aspects of Sugar extensible. Right now you can deploy those extensions
by placing .py files in /usr/share/sugar/extensions/*, but in the
future I can foresee that some kind of installable bundles will
contain those .py files plus icons, metadata, etc.

But perhaps we could start now by calling it activities.sl.o and when
it's needed rename it to addons.sl.o and redirect the old name to it?

Thanks for your opinions,

Tomeu