[Sugar-devel] 'Resume activity' is confusing for user

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Sat Feb 14 21:56:07 EST 2009

Mikus,

On 15 Feb 2009, at 00:24, Mikus Grinbergs wrote:

> My observation from running Joyride 2650 on an XO-1:
>
> With 'Resume by default' checked in the "Favorite view" dropdown in
> Home View, those activity_icons for which a Journal entry now exists
> are colored.  I __naively__ thought that if I clicked on a "colored"
> icon, the *existing* session for that activity would be resumed.

You're 3 weeks late ;-) It was a bug, I'm 99% sure Tomeu has this is
fixed, if you're using a current build of sugar here's the ticket:

	http://dev.sugarlabs.org/ticket/238

Here's the rub... Joyride is dead (though for an XO user it's still
about the easiest/smoothest way to play with the new sugar toys). It
got a Sugar code update back in 2631, making it to sugar 0.83.3 from
what I can tell (~19 Jan 2009); but there're just not enough hands on
deck to keep that plate spinning.

FWIW I've been able to copy-nand and use the image called soas3.img
that Marco was kind enough to get an image built and working:

	http://download.sugarlabs.org/soas/xoimages/

... but again I fear this is now an end of line unless another
engineer can continue the work. I'm not convinced the world of XO
users will see much, if any more, output from SugarLabs for a long
time, the only hope I see is to run 'Sugar on a Stick' USB spins
(Fedora being currently the most tested/working) – but only for
testing purposes – the normal Fedora is still far off the level of XO
hardware support that the 8.2.x OLPC Fedora fork currently provides.
Actually, the latest Fedora SoaS USB image I've tried to boot on an XO
just kernel panics, so Marco's above effort is, perhaps the last, most
recent XO booting Sugar.

With all that doom and gloom, I must say that OLPC 8.2.1
(candidate-800) is looking rather nice in comparison, get some testing
in if you can, we may be using it for some time...

Regards,
--Gary