[Sugar-devel] 'Resume activity' is confusing for user

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Sat Feb 14 19:24:31 EST 2009

My observation from running Joyride 2650 on an XO-1:

With 'Resume by default' checked in the "Favorite view" dropdown in
Home View, those activity_icons for which a Journal entry now exists
are colored.  I __naively__ thought that if I clicked on a "colored"
icon, the *existing* session for that activity would be resumed.

But when in Home View I moved the cursor to the (colored) icon for
Terminal and left-clicked, a *second* Terminal session was launched.

Apparently, to be sure of what one is doing with a colored icon in
Home View, one needs to right-click on that icon, and wait for its
palette to be displayed.  Then, to 'Resume' a session, right-click
on an entry in the palette for which an object name is listed.  Or,
to 'start' a new session, click on the palette entry that lists the
plain activity name (or click on the 'Start' entry near the bottom
of the palette).

I ought to be able to explain all this to a "Sugar" user (including
when there are "special cases" and when there are not).  But much
simpler to just tell him to  forget about  'Resume by default'.

mikus

p.s.  Suggestion:  when clicking on an icon in Home View favorites
will not result in 'returning control' to an already-launched
Activity, *don't* color that icon.