[Sugar-devel] Notes on triage meeting

Greg Dekoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Fri Feb 13 08:50:32 EST 2009

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009, Simon Schampijer wrote:

> Greg Dekoenigsberg wrote:
>> erikos ran an awesome meeting.  My notes on what I think the purpose should
>> be:
>>
>> First Goal.  To go through all UNCONFIRMED bug reports and determine:
>>
>> * whether the bug report is a dupe.  if so, close as Duplicate.
>>
>> * whether the bug report is missing key info.  if so, ask questions in bug
>> and set status to Needinfo.
>>
>> * whether the bug is from a previous release and has already been fixed. if
>> so, close as Obsolete.
>>
>> * whether the bug is relatively minor.  if so, set to block next release
>> (right now 0.86) and set status to "new".
>>
>> * whether the bug is urgent.  if so, set to block current release (right
>> now 0.84) and set status to "new".
>>
>> Every bug should fit into one of these categories.
>>
>> How does that sound?  Simple enough to get a good triage team off and
>> running?
>>
>> --g
>
> Actually I would leave setting the milestone by the triage team out. I think
> this is the duty of the maintainer. He knows better the resources available.
> If the severity is a blocker - of course he will set it to 0.84 likely
> anyhow.
>
> Objections, thoughts?
>   Simon

My thought as the sort-of-guy-who-sort-of-runs-engineering-meetings is
that I don't want to see any triaged bugs, ever, without a targeted
release.  Why?  Because I want to be able to look at "current release" and
know which bugs are out there.

Now, how do we set milestones?  If we can get developers to reliably go
clean up after triagers and assign milestons to all bugs that are in
such-and-such state, that's ok, I guess.  If we're all in a meeting
together, it's quite easy -- I just ask on IRC.  But it makes async
triaging a bit trickier.

--g

--
Got an XO that you're not using?  Loan it to a needy developer!
   [[ http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_Exchange_Registry ]]