[Sugar-devel] consequences of re-registering with XS

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Thu Feb 12 08:25:21 EST 2009

Hi,

As I noted here:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Deployment_wishlist#Delete_registration_info
we are in a sticky situation where a load of XOs are registered to one
XS, which no longer exists. We want to register them to a new one, and
we are having to manually go to each laptop and modify the sugar
config file to allow us to register again.

To avoid this situation in future (should we ever run into it again,
fingers crossed we won't), we are considering a small modification to
the paraguay OS build which makes the "Discard network history" button
also clear the XS registration information (by deleting the
server.backup1 line from sugar config). This code modification can be
done with a single sed call, since there is already an unused sugar
function to clear registration info.

Of course, this means that the users (children) can now trivially lose
their registration data. Are there any undesirable consequences of
this that I am missing?

For example, what happens if a user deletes the registration data and
then re-registers with the same server.. does the XS cope with that
happily?

Any other points I should keep in mind, or any other options to
avoiding this small nightmare in future?

Thanks,
Daniel