[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] activites known not to either work at all or not on certin platforms

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Wed Feb 11 17:08:19 EST 2009

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 03:38:04PM -0500, Luke Faraone wrote:
>On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 2:56 PM, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:
>>
>> No need to get into details of what exactly is flawed with my
>> packaging style, or how you would do things differently:
>

>I'm just trying to see if I'm missing something as far as the workflow.

You insist that these Debian-specific details should be shared with
Bert, the Sugarlabs pedagogical list and the Sugarlabs development list.

Very well...

>Simply put, the commands given in your README do *not* work at all
>without additional undocumented steps.

Thanks for clarifying: My packaging style *is* documented, just
incomplete.

Others have found those shitty, half-baked incomplete notes useful.

You have ignored help offered at the OLPC mailinglist at Alioth. Your
only interest seems to be in upgrading core Sugar libraries to the
unstable branch, not starting out with simple activities.

My packaging style consists of git-buildpackage and CDBS, as you seem
well aware. Both are in themselves rather well documented. Go read that
documentation if you dislike mine.

Or don't: You can package other packages using other packaging styles if
you wish - just don't expect me to help you out with that. And don't try
to change packaging style of existing packages.

>> 3) Others are still free to follow my recommendation: Package through
>> Debian, not directly at their pet derived distribution, to avoid
>> duplicated work.
>>

>We tried that, however you stated that you wanted to continue to use
>0.82 for now.

You complain that the packaging is too complex, yet you need even more
complexity to track not only latest stable branch but also HEAD.

Or more likely: you want us to package in the pace of Ubuntu release
cycle (latest stable, except when Ubuntu is far from next release).

Sorry, can't help you there.

   Jonas

- --