[Sugar-devel] A small request.

Bernie Innocenti bernie at sugarlabs.org
Wed Feb 11 11:45:31 EST 2009

Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
>> Another issue is how we integrate the updater with addons.sl.o.
>> Because the OLPC microformat is trivial, it might be easy to modify
>> the remora's html output to be compatible with it.  Mick, Tomeu and
>> David, who have had a closer look at the code, might want to comment.
>
> If what you propose is to change the php pages to add/change class
> attributes of existing html elements, then I think it's going to
> increase significantly the rebasing efforts. What about adding new
> pages for that purpose?

I don't know how much work that would take (yet).

>> With a web UI similar to addons.mozilla.org, the local UI for browsing
>> new activities becomes redundant and could be culled, reducing the
>> control panel module to a mere updater.  I guess this is for the UI
>> designers to decide.
>
> Well, but not all deployments will have access to a Remora instance, or yes?

Scott clarified that there's actually no UI to browse new activities
after all.  (I still wonder where the initial list of activities comes
from on a fresh new OS installation).

Deployments can do whatever they like:

1) add their custom activities to our remora installation

2a) setup a local remora installation

2b) use a wiki or even a bare html page with the required tags
   (this is what OLE Nepal is doing)

In (2a) and (2b), they can choose to put this service on a public
server or on the XS.  In the former case, they could configure squid
on the XS to cache activities locally and save bandwidth.

Also note that each activity bundle specifies its own URL for updates,
so you can track activities installed from different places.

We're offering a lot of flexibility for everyone here with very little
effort on our side.

>> Unless someone else steps up, I volunteer to do the minimum necessary
>> integration work to make the current updater work in SoaS with
>> addons.sl.o as a backend.
>
> How is that work going?

The Sugar side works already.  I need to commit my patches on git.sl.o
  after I come back from vacation.

I believe Mick has been working on the remora side, but I don't know
the actual status.  Mick?

--
   // Bernie Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/
 \X/  Sugar Labs       - http://www.sugarlabs.org/