[Sugar-devel] hello and how can I Join?

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Wed Feb 11 08:10:36 EST 2009

victor wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have finally been able to turn my attention back to OLPC/XO. So now
> I would like to see how I can join the development team in sugarlabs.

Awesome, welcome at Sugar Labs. So the first important part you already
did - subscribe to this list and stepped up :) There is also these other
lists that might be of interest http://lists.sugarlabs.org/ and
join.sugarlabs.org is as well a good resource.

> Particularly my expertise is in the area of audio and there are two
> things I am particularly interested in:
>
> 1. Audio infrastructure, csound integration, pulseaudio adoption etc

Actually, your expertise would be needed to get the csound packages into
the distributions. Currently we have the standard Csound package [1] and
the olpcsound [2] package in Fedora. We should decide which package we
should move forward.

[1] http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=76556
[2] http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=77007

> 2. Tools for music/audio activities development: csndsugui http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Csndsugui
> (I hope to move this to sugarlabs GIT, but I am not sure exactly where,
> since this is not actually an 'activity'). I had hopes that this module could
> eventually make it into sugar proper, once it is completed; Would that be
> a good idea?

Sure, that sounds great. You can move the repository over as a general
project and once finished we can merge it. Instructions on how to move
an existing repository can be found at
http://sugarlabs.org/go/DevelopmentTeam/Git#Import_a_module_from_dev.laptop.org

> So basically my questions are: how to get involved with these things? Where
> to move the csndsugui repository and what else might be worth doing, considering
> my areas of expertise?
>
> Also, a more practical question. What is the best way of keeping up-to-date with
> sugar software for the XO? Joyrides? I am sorry bu the OLPC-sugarlabs split is
> still not clear in my mind.

So joyride is obsolete - we agreed that olpc should hop on the fedora
train. That is why for example we try to minimize the forks of packages
between olpc and Fedora. More Info on the exact procedure should come
from Chris.

Currently the best is to use Sugar on a Stick
(http://sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick) to use the latest Sugar
version on the XO. The latest version is:
http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/sugar-devel/2009-February/011456.html
You can copy it on the Nand for example.

Thanks,
    Simon