[Sugar-devel] Auto-authentication for Browse -

Carol Farlow Lerche cafl at msbit.com
Tue Feb 10 17:20:05 EST 2009

Sorry...hit send too soon.  The link

http://boblord.livejournal.com/18402.html

shows how to get rid of the message.

To give the xs the identity of the client you send a certificate request to
the server.  This is in truth the public key of the client, which the server
signs and sends back.  Thus the client now has a client certificate signed
by the server's CA.

There is a nice Firefox addon that manages this process for the issuer if
one wishes there to be some manual oversight as to who is allowed to
register (presumably some functionary at the school who oversees
registration on the first day).

There is an underlying set of security utilities that belong to Mozilla (NSS
libraries and tools) that can perform the cert request building, and would
allow scripting to do the cert requesting under the covers.

As an alternative to a strictly manual approval process for the cert
requests, the XO process for submitting the cr could put the serial number
in a field of the cert request to be checked automatically against a list of
serial numbers on the server, such that the cert is returned automatically.

(Eagerly awaiting an eruption from Ivan).