[Sugar-devel] Getting sugar-jhbuild run working

Marco Pesenti Gritti marcopg at sugarlabs.org
Mon Feb 9 11:24:53 EST 2009

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 5:10 PM, Sascha Silbe
<sascha-ml-ui-sugar-devel at silbe.org> wrote:
> I suppose python-gconf has been compiled using the -rpath option. Don't know
> how to dump the rpath setting, but the library does contain the string
> "/usr/lib" so it seems likely.

Could be. If someone knows how to lookup Ubuntu build logs that should
be easy to confirm...

> Any reason why sugar tries to use the system-supplied Python wrapper in
> combination with a locally installed gconf library? How do you ensure those
> two match exactly, given that the Python wrapper is compiled _before_ the
> library?

You can't ensure it but GConf API has been stable for a while now and
I don't expect it to change. If we could rebuild just
gnome-python-desktop that would be probably fine but... I'm not sure
it's possible to mix gnome-python modules from system and jhbuild
because of the gtk-2.0 path trick. I guess at worst we could play with
pythonpath. I don't have time to try that out right now, if someone
wants to play with it, would be great.

The other option is to use system GConf, but that also is quite
painful because the ORBit version of it is not really jhbuild config
(If I remember correctly we would have to ask people to mess with /etc
to get stuff working).

Marco