[Sugar-devel] A small request.

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 14:45:13 EST 2009

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 8:20 AM, Benjamin M. Schwartz
<bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:
> I am finally understanding Martin's dilemma.
>
> Every version of every Activity can potentially specify a different update

Bingo. Teh interwebs has these things called redirects, and they're
used all the bloody time, because stuff moves around like crazy.

In a perfect world they would just _not exist_.

> Whether this is a problem is a bit of a judgment call.

No need to call no judge. The first use case is right here with us now
-- lots of activities are moving from wiki.l.o to somewhere in
sugarlabs.org. Perhaps a couple decide to move to SourceForge instead.
SF may go outof fashion, and they'll move elsewhere.

Resources on the internet come and go.

> Frankly, I don't think there will be any satisfactory solution until we

This is _trivial_ to fix -- all we need is a service announcement
scheme, and use it. Scott's pointing to DNS-SD, and after reading the
specs and design rationale, I like it. But I don't know if there's  an
easy way to use it _without_ mdns getting in the way.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions