[Sugar-devel] Service announcement scheme - (Re: A small request.)

Bernie Innocenti bernie at laptop.org
Mon Feb 2 05:13:56 EST 2009

Martin Langhoff wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 6:39 PM, C. Scott Ananian <cscott at laptop.org> wrote:
>> My suggestions:  DNS-SD and libepc (http://live.gnome.org/libepc/).
>> There's no need for Sugar-specific solutions here; we just need to use
>> existing standard solutions.
>
> Yep - I want existing standard stuff, but the devil we know seems to
> swamp the spectrum with 802.11s.

When I read the Zeroconf book, I got the impression that the
_standard_ was carefully designed to minimize needless broadcasts and
scale well in real scenarios.  I can't comment on the current Avahi
_implementation_ though.

Even if the standard itself is flawed, designing a custom protocol to
do the same thing is going to be a lot of work and probably end up
facing the very same design issues that made the IEFT's standard
inadequate for us in the first place.

When it comes to non-trivial networking protocols, I don't trust any
given individual to be able to do a good job without going through an
*extensive* iterative design process with public reviews of interim
drafts.

What's hardest about networking is that it looks deceptively easy at
first :-)

--
   // Bernie Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/
 \X/  Sugar Labs       - http://www.sugarlabs.org/