[Sugar-devel] Activity updater

C. Scott Ananian cscott at laptop.org
Mon Feb 2 07:34:28 EST 2009

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 7:00 AM, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
> Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>> What "Debian package"?
>>
>> I found no mention of "olpc-update" anywhere in the source code for
>> Sugar, so I guess you are talking about something OLPC-specific _below_
>> Sugar, right?
>
> olpc-update is the official updater for the core OS of the OLPC
> distribution.  It is very XOOS specific so you probably don't want to
> package it for Debian.

Not true at all, FWIW.

> Are you packaging up the sugar-update-control package for Debian?
> It's here:
>
>  http://dev.laptop.org/git?p=users/cscott/sugar-update-control;a=summary
>  (I don't know if release tarballs exist for it)

gitweb provides tarballs corresponding to tagged releases.

> My tentative plan, to be further discussed here, is:
>
>  1. import the project in gitorious;
>
>  2. break the dependency with olpc-update and bitfrost;

There's only a weak dependency on the 'inhibit-suspect' functionality
in olpc-update; it's already wrapped in a try block so if olpc-update
isn't installed, nothing bad happens (except on an XO, when suspend
won't be properly inhibited, natch).

>  3. add it to jhbuild;
>
>  4. get the RPM accepted in Fedora;
>
>  5a. change the default URL to point at an Activities page
>     on the Sugar Labs wiki.
>
> or,
>
>  5b. modify addons.sl.o to understand the OLPC microformat.
>

> The choice between 5a or 5b depends on the amount of progress we do
> with remora over the next few weeks.

IMO, rather than worry about 5a, you should just endeavor to ensure
that all sugarlabs packaged activites have an appropriate update_url
that points to the sugarlabs wiki.  The default is just for legacy
compatibility.
  --scott

--
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )