[Sugar-devel] Soas snapshot

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Sun Feb 1 21:22:34 EST 2009

On 1 Feb 2009, at 16:36, Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 5:16 PM, Gary C Martin <gary at garycmartin.com>
> wrote:
>> Just a quick status update for those curious, I went the copy-nand
>> route as
>> I have an XO here I can afford to wipe. This is a great start :-)
>> Marco,
>> will you continue to generate .img/.crc for XOs as part of the
>> release cycle
>> or should I also explore using .iso snapshot files (i.e how can I
>> keep
>> testing recent Sugar effort on XO hardware)?
>
> Yeah, I will keep generating them until there is interest.

(_while_ there is interest?) fab :-)

> I know that Chris is planning to generate official livecd-tools
> based images for
> OLPC, but until that happens... (In an ideal world I expect SoaS and
> XO images to be generated with the same tools and include basically
> the same software, just slightly customized for the different use
> case).

Yep, that would be great. Perhaps a sensitive question, but should
'we' now start to forget joyride and focus on images coming out of the
SoaS effort?

>> * boot felt slow, but usable as is (~2min on subsequent boots).
>
> I wonder how it does compare to joyride builds.

Let me flash the nand back back to joyride (2639) and time it... OK,
avg over 3 boots was joyride = 90sec (with full G1G1 activity/library
data) vs. SoaS1 = 130sec.

>> * some nasty stripy/bitty/strobing screens during boot cycle, but
>> didn't
>> last too long.
>
> When starting up X?

Yes, as it hits X, it seemed worse on first boot (before name and
colour UI requests), on subsequent boots it's 1-2sec of vibrating
pixel gibberish before the screen blacks out prior to sugar cursor
showing up.

>> * all UI fonts are horrendously small, some dpi magic desperately
>> needed :-)
>
> Can you open a ticket under the SoaS component, I'm not sure exactly
> what is going on here, should be easy to fix anyway.

Done:

	http://dev.sugarlabs.org/ticket/282

>> * fair selection of starter/essential Activities installed (I've not
>> re-tested all actually work yet), significant ones missing (for
>> testing and
>> education) are read, record, the tamtam suite, speak, colors! (for
>> testing/showing collaborative painting), image viewer (which may be
>> the new
>> default for showing images).
>
> We need to figure out which .xo just works if installed manually.
> Those can be then trivially added to the image. And for those that
> doesn't work we need logs, so that we can decide if it's an activity
> problem or a system one and report it appropriately.

I'd love to help here, my understanding is SoaS is for many diverse HW
types, so I can (currently) only test for 'activity works on SoaS for
XO.' I'll install extra activities and report back.

>> * about my Computer, Serial number, build, and firmware all 'not
>> available'
>> so I'm not sure what versions I'm testing (other than 'soas1'
>> 0.83.x) -
>> would be useful to have some of this for future ticket reporting
>>
>> * the network control panel is broken (clicking on it does nothing)
>> so
>> couldn't change default jabber server
>
> Tickets for these two would be good, both in the sugar component.

Done:

	http://dev.sugarlabs.org/ticket/289
	http://dev.sugarlabs.org/ticket/290

>> * very short on available NAND space, only a reported 154Mb free
>
> Sebastian is making some great progresses on this one.

Yes, I'd seen some comments re: image size floating about, the smaller
the better ;-) FWIW, clean re-flashing to joyride 2639 left a reported
701MB space available, then installing (manually) the full G1G1 set of
data still left 636MB – so quite a way to go...

>> Thanks for all the hard work that I'm sure has gone into getting SoaS
>> working to this point!
>
> Thanks for all the testing, this is extremely useful! Keep it up and
> SoaS will rock very soon :)

Will do!

--Gary