[Sugar-devel] Soas snapshot

Marco Pesenti Gritti marcopg at sugarlabs.org
Sun Feb 1 11:36:42 EST 2009

On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 5:16 PM, Gary C Martin <gary at garycmartin.com> wrote:
> Just a quick status update for those curious, I went the copy-nand route as
> I have an XO here I can afford to wipe. This is a great start :-) Marco,
> will you continue to generate .img/.crc for XOs as part of the release cycle
> or should I also explore using .iso snapshot files (i.e how can I keep
> testing recent Sugar effort on XO hardware)?

Yeah, I will keep generating them until there is interest. I know that
Chris is planning to generate official livecd-tools based images for
OLPC, but until that happens... (In an ideal world I expect SoaS and
XO images to be generated with the same tools and include basically
the same software, just slightly customized for the different use
case).

> * boot felt slow, but usable as is (~2min on subsequent boots).

I wonder how it does compare to joyride builds.

> * some nasty stripy/bitty/strobing screens during boot cycle, but didn't
> last too long.

When starting up X?

> * all UI fonts are horrendously small, some dpi magic desperately needed :-)

Can you open a ticket under the SoaS component, I'm not sure exactly
what is going on here, should be easy to fix anyway.

> * fair selection of starter/essential Activities installed (I've not
> re-tested all actually work yet), significant ones missing (for testing and
> education) are read, record, the tamtam suite, speak, colors! (for
> testing/showing collaborative painting), image viewer (which may be the new
> default for showing images).

We need to figure out which .xo just works if installed manually.
Those can be then trivially added to the image. And for those that
doesn't work we need logs, so that we can decide if it's an activity
problem or a system one and report it appropriately.

> * about my Computer, Serial number, build, and firmware all 'not available'
> so I'm not sure what versions I'm testing (other than 'soas1' 0.83.x) -
> would be useful to have some of this for future ticket reporting
>
> * the network control panel is broken (clicking on it does nothing) so
> couldn't change default jabber server

Tickets for these two would be good, both in the sugar component.

> * very short on available NAND space, only a reported 154Mb free

Sebastian is making some great progresses on this one.

> Thanks for all the hard work that I'm sure has gone into getting SoaS
> working to this point!

Thanks for all the testing, this is extremely useful! Keep it up and
SoaS will rock very soon :)

Marco