[Sugar-devel] Soas snapshot

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Sun Feb 1 11:16:55 EST 2009

On 29 Jan 2009, at 14:21, Gary C Martin wrote:

> On 29 Jan 2009, at 10:02, Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 12:28 AM, Gary C Martin
>> <gary at garycmartin.com> wrote:
>>> Cool.
>>>
>>> Any tips as to what to do with these 2 on an XO? The only thing
>>> I've done
>>> with .img and .crc before is copy-nand from firmware – is it
>>> possible to run
>>> them from a usb stick without wiping nand or effecting the existing
>>> nand
>>> install (so we can encourage safe(er) testing of new code)?
>>
>> You can use copy-nand if you want to install them on the nand. To
>> install on a usb stick you can follow the Fedora on XO instruction
>> (with the .iso Soas image). It should be possible to do it from a XO.
>> See:
>>
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/TestPlans/
>> Fedora10_On_XO#Installing_your_SD_card
>>
>> It would be good to add this to the Soas wiki page. Let me know if
>> you
>> have any problems!
>
> Thanks Marco (& Daniel), will go sharpen my stick and start to poke...

Just a quick status update for those curious, I went the copy-nand
route as I have an XO here I can afford to wipe. This is a great
start :-) Marco, will you continue to generate .img/.crc for XOs as
part of the release cycle or should I also explore using .iso snapshot
files (i.e how can I keep testing recent Sugar effort on XO hardware)?

Here's some rough notes:

* popped soas1.crc and .img on a USB stick, booted (an unsecured) XO,
hit esc to get to firmware, copy-nand u:\soas1.img, and all installed
fine, typed boot.

* boot felt slow, but usable as is (~2min on subsequent boots).

* some nasty stripy/bitty/strobing screens during boot cycle, but
didn't last too long.

* first boot let me name and pick colour

* all UI fonts are horrendously small, some dpi magic desperately
needed :-)

* fair selection of starter/essential Activities installed (I've not
re-tested all actually work yet), significant ones missing (for
testing and education) are read, record, the tamtam suite, speak,
colors! (for testing/showing collaborative painting), image viewer
(which may be the new default for showing images).

* about my Computer, Serial number, build, and firmware all 'not
available' so I'm not sure what versions I'm testing (other than
'soas1' 0.83.x) - would be useful to have some of this for future
ticket reporting

* the network control panel is broken (clicking on it does nothing) so
couldn't change default jabber server

* used neighbourhood to connect to the one WEP AP I have available
here, connected first time, connects automatically after reboot.

* very short on available NAND space, only a reported 154Mb free

* shutdown/reboot, some more funny/odd graphic effects during
shutdown, but it's completed every time so far.

Thanks for all the hard work that I'm sure has gone into getting SoaS
working to this point!

--Gary