[Sugar-devel] Sugar Development

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 07:40:01 EST 2009

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 6:42 AM, Christoph Derndorfer
<christoph.derndorfer at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 11:31 AM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 22:50, Mark Symmonds
>> <msymmonds at codegladiator.com> wrote:
>> > Hello!
>> >
>> > I am a freelance developer and LAMP architect with over twelve years
>> > experience.  I would like to get involved in the OLPC development
>> > project where my skills may be of best use.  Please let me know if there
>> > is anything I can help with.
>>
>> Wade, do we have a list of orphan activities that people could adopt?
>> If so, I could ask deployments which are the most important from their
>> points of view.
>
> Such a list would be very useful indeed!
> Especially since I'm just talking to an Austrian guy who is also interested
> in supporting OLPC / Sugar Labs efforts via one way or another... :-)
> Cheers,
> Christoph
>
> --
> Christoph Derndorfer
> co-editor, olpcnews
> url: www.olpcnews.com
> e-mail: christoph at olpcnews.com

Informally, we have such a list from Peru, which is our largest Sugar
deployment. They use a core set of activities and have expressed the
desire to see that set (a) reach a level of increased stability; and
(b) run reliably on newer versions of Sugar so that the upgrade
transition runs more smoothly (they are running 0.82 for the most part
on F9 and had originally asked in regard to transitioning from 707 to
802). Helping track down open tickets with any activities on this list
would be of great benefit.

The list comes from Hernan Paches:
org.laptop.Chat
org.laptop.WebActivity
org.laptop.AbiWordActivity
org.laptop.RecordActivity
org.laptop.Oficina
org.laptop.TamTamMini
org.vpri.EtoysActivity
org.laptop.WikipediaActivity
org.laptop.TurtleArtwithSensors
edu.mit.media.ScratchActivity
org.laptop.Pippy
org.laptop.Calculate
org.laptop.ClockActivity
org.laptop.StopWatchActivity
com.laptop.Ruler
org.laptop.MeasureActivity
org.laptop.AcousticMeasure
net.gcompris.geographyActivity
net.gcompris.scalesboardActivity
com.garycmartin.Moon
org.laptop.StarChart
org.codewiz.XaoS
org.laptop.Words
vu.lux.olpc.Speak
org.laptop.Memorize
com.jotaro.ImplodeActivity
org.worldwideworkshop.olpc.JigsawPuzzle
org.worldwideworkshop.olpc.SliderPuzzle
net.gcompris.chesscomputerActivity
net.gcompris.sudokuActivity
net.gcompris.tangramActivity
org.laptop.Connect
vu.lux.olpc.Maze
org.laptop.TamTamJam
org.laptop.TamTamEdit
org.laptop.TamTamSynthLab
com.ywwg.NewsReader
org.laptop.Terminal
org.laptop.Analyze
org.laptop.LogViewer

Back to Mark's original question, there are a few additional areas
that need work as well, depending upon interest and experience. There
is, for example, lots of help needed in working on some of the new
features proposed for Sugar 0.88 (See
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features).

But as Ed mentioned at the top of the thread, hanging out in
irc.freenode.net #sugar is a great place to start.

regards.

-walter

Walter Bender
Sugar Labs