[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] multiple selection in the journal

Christoph Derndorfer christoph.derndorfer at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 05:01:32 EST 2009

On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 11:57 AM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 10:39, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > often have heard from the field about the need to select multiple
> > entries and delete them. Should we add a checkbox to every entry in
> > the list, or allow the user to select with shift-click and ctrl-click?
> > Or anything else?
>
> This has been already discussed here, more comments welcome:
>
> http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/sugar-devel/2009-November/020630.html

Mmm, tough call.

While I agree with Gary that having individual selection boxes next to each
Journal entry would clutter the UI a bit I don't necessarily think that it's
really a feature that's only going to be used by advanced users. The main
problems I see with using a keyboard shortcut is that

(a) generally speaking all of Sugar's features are available via graphic UI
elements and keyboard shortcuts aren't really used too much at the moment
and
(b) it's hard to "discover" a functionality that requires a fairly
sophisticated combination of simultanous keyboard and touchpad input

So personally I tend to think that selection boxes are a better way to go.

Cheers,
Christoph

--
Christoph Derndorfer