[Sugar-devel] [FEATURE] [DESIGN] Zero Install integresion request for inclusion to 0.88

Aleksey Lim alsroot at member.fsf.org
Wed Dec 16 18:23:05 EST 2009

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 04:35:25PM +0000, Aleksey Lim wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Zero_Install_integration
>
> The reason for this feature is to cover situations
>
> * an activity has dependencies that weren't included to the Sugar
> * Platform
> * install/build activity specific binaries
> * run non-sugar applications that are not well packaged to
> * GNU/Linux distributions
>
> Benefit to Sugar
>
> * let activity authors use non Sugar Platform dependencies
> * exclude binary blobs from activity bundles, 0install will let
>   sugar install/build proper blobs for local architecture/OS-environment
> * having sugar UI to start 0install packages(non-sugar) and
>   having common 0install dependencies, sugar and 0install
>   communities could benefit each other
>   * so, we can replace "sugarized" activities like
>     TuxPaint and GCOmpris on ASLO by 0install
>     packages(that could be useful for non-sugar users
>     as well)
>
> New UI intoduced bu feature:
>
> *  progress bar for launcher window to download dependencies
> * progress bar in Journal's column for manual 0install downloads
> * additional activity palette item if activity has not yet downloaded 0install files
> * new control panel component #Control panel component
>
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Zero_Install_integration#UI_changes

ping

Feature's intention was tweaked, now it is: Integrate 0install related UI
improvements into shell to have smooth support of Sugar Services[1].

I think having such integration in next glucose will be useful because
it brings "offline" mode for users that have poor internet connection.

== Detailed Description ==

Usage of [[Activity_Team/Services|Sugar Services]] brings 0install
related workflows. This feature proposal supposed to minify
disadvantages and make 0install integration smooth.

=== New widgets for launcher window ===

If activity has pending downloads, Launcher window should have
additional components.

* downloading progress bar
* expander box to show 0install verbose messages
* user could be asked for signed downloads confirmation, text label with
* buttons Yes/No

=== Support offline mode ===

* after uploading 0depend activities to Journal or adding 0install
* packages, immediately start downloading all necessary files
* having, if necessary, "Download all dependencies" in content menu for
* 0depend activities and 0install packages
* having "Download all dependencies" in control panel component
* on downloading activities from Journal(copy to non-ds sources, send to
* other users etc.) suggest/do to bundle all dependencies to downloaded
* activity bundle
* [http://0install.net/0share.html 0share] integration

=== Control panel component ===

* ''0store manage'' like interface to manage zero components
* "Download all dependencies" button
* settings
** network usage mode
*** offline, use only already downloaded files
*** minimal, do not try download last versions
*** full, check and download last versions
** download dependencies immediately
** ignore/ask/do about including 0install files to downloaded from
Journal activity bundles
** on/off 0share
* list of trusted keys

== UI Design ==