[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] Future of Zero Sugar

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 04:08:56 EST 2009

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 06:09, Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-12-15 at 06:07 +0000, Aleksey Lim wrote:
>> * as a 3rd party developer, I don't see such teachers requests listed
>>   somewhere on wiki, that let me see what can I do and peek most
>>   interesting/suitable-for-my-skils/etc task
>
> There's enough going around that you could work on which would be a huge
> benefit to deployments. Here are a few ideas.

[3G, bugs, more]

> Documentation: there's very little good documentation on how to deploy
> sugar in a classroom scenario. If you were to start some documentation,
> not only would it be a huge help for deployments, it would also make you
> think more about the real-life challenges which may lead to some
> development projects.

I'm working on documentation of the points where children will not be
able to discover how Sugar works on their own, and how to integrate
demonstrations of those points into lesson plans. See
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/The_Undiscoverable for an early version
of the list. My family and I are currently preparing to move house
from California to Indiana. After we get settled there, and after the
holidays, I plan to finish a draft of this material and circulate it
for trials and comments.

I would call everybody's attention to the growing movement to replace
printed textbooks with electronic learning materials. Significant
amounts of grant money are becoming available from the US Government,
the Shuttleworth Foundation, Spain, and elsewhere.

[more ideas]
http://www.earthtreasury.org/