[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] Future of Zero Sugar

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 03:59:11 EST 2009

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 20:31, Bryan Berry <bryan at olenepal.org> wrote:
> I strongly agree w/ tomeu on this.
> Making Sugar easier to contribute to isn't anywhere near the top of the list
> of requested features by our kids and teachers in Nepal.
> The far and away most requested feature by teachers in Nepal is a mechanism
> for kids to "turn in homework."

Can you set up Moodle instances for them? Do we need Nepali or other
localizations of Moodle?

http://docs.moodle.org/en/Translation#Creating_a_new_language_pack

I see nine Moodle sites listed in Nepal, including several at
Kathmandu University School of Education Distance Program.

There has been talk from time to time about putting a homework
submission capability into Journal. I have no idea how far that idea
has gotten, but I would give it a high priority if I could.

> I am not talking about invasive testing
> here. The typical Nepali teacher just wants to know which students out of
> 50-70 kids are failing to understand basic concepts.

Also, Bryan and his team would like to know which are the critical
conceptual and skill blockages for Nepali children so that the team
can create appropriate learning software. I have heard Bryan talk
about one such program that helped children advance several years in
math skill in a few months, catching up in many cases to grade level.

http://www.earthtreasury.org/