[Sugar-devel] [Feature] Problem Reports

Wade Brainerd wadetb at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 21:30:51 EST 2009

On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 8:26 PM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 08:07:45PM -0500, Wade Brainerd wrote:
>> On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 7:23 PM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
>> > Looks good ... though I haven't actually reviewed the patches.
>> >
>> > I hope you've thought about what will happen if people report problems
>> > that are part of the underlying software stack ... or even hardware.
>>
>> It does bundle a few system logs, so there may be clues there.
>
> Not just that, but how will your processes handle things that aren't
> outside your direct control?  Will you elevate OLPC problems back to
> OLPC, for example?  Will you have adequate translators?

Oh, no not at all.  That's why it doesn't file bugs.  The plan is to
have knowledgeable people (myself, to begin with) triage the
sugar-reports list and forward data to the appropriate place.  For
example, if the logs contain a Sugar Python traceback we haven't seen
before, whoever is monitoring the list can just forward it to the
Sugar maintainers.

Eventually I'd like to add some more brains to the log server, like
automatically identifying and emailing the author of an activity with
an error, based on the log filename.  But that's just to save work for
the subscribers of the sugar-reports list.

If the user wishes to follow up her report with the appropriate
support team, they are also given a decimal Report ID which can be
used to track down their logs.  So they could chase the issue upstream
on their own if they wish.

-Wade