[Sugar-devel] [Feature] Problem Reports

Wade Brainerd wadetb at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 20:07:45 EST 2009

On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 7:23 PM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
> Looks good ... though I haven't actually reviewed the patches.
>
> I hope you've thought about what will happen if people report problems
> that are part of the underlying software stack ... or even hardware.

It does bundle a few system logs, so there may be clues there.

 	317	                # Include some log files from /var/log.
 	318	                for fn in ['dmesg', 'messages', 'cron',
'maillog','rpmpkgs',
 	319	                           'Xorg.0.log', 'spooler']:
 	320	                    self.write_log(z, '/var/log/'+fn,
'var-log/'+fn, logbytes)

The collection code is based on the old logcollect.py from the
original Log activity's Send Logs feature, that was broken for all
these years (with the logs going nowhere).

> Perhaps a way for mass deployments to customise the destination for the
> problem report.

Yep, the logserver URL is a gconf setting.

The backend PHP code just stores the data in a folder, puts an entry
in a sqlite db, and sends a formatted email to a configured address.
So it should be pretty easy for mass deployments to customize.

-Wade