[Sugar-devel] Issues with mesh network on XO 1.5

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Tue Dec 8 02:47:56 EST 2009

On Mon, Dec 07, 2009 at 08:37:26AM +0000, Daniel Drake wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-12-07 at 14:11 +1100, James Cameron wrote:
> > For what it is worth, with two XO-1 running 802, and two XO-1.5
> > running os54, a network created by one of the os54 units does not
> > show on the neighbourhood view of the two 802 units, though it does
> > show on the other os54, and is included in the "iwlist eth0 scan"
> > output on the 802s.
>
> Sugar-0.82 does not support ad-hoc networks.

Yes, that's another way of putting it.  But that explanation digs into
the implementation.  ;-)  I thought it was more important to say that
XO-1 802 and XO-1.5 os54 cannot communicate without infrastructure.

On Mon, Dec 07, 2009 at 03:51:17PM +0530, Mohit Taneja wrote:
> Well then, is there a way to connect XO-1 running Sugar 0.82 and an
> XO-1.5 ?

As Daniel has said, if you connect them both to an access point then
they can communicate through that.

It is possible to do it manually without an access point, but this is
not available simply, or to anybody who does not have root access to
their XO-1.  Here is how I did it:

 * become root
 * /etc/init.d/NetworkManager stop
 * ifconfig eth0 up
 * iwlist eth0 scan
 * note the network name of the XO-1.5 created network, in my case
   "quozl's network #AC32FF,#FF2B34"
 * iwconfig eth0 mode ad-hoc essid "quozl's network #AC32FF,#FF2B34"
 * avahi-autoipd eth0
 * note the IP address, in my case 169.254.6.0 (it won't get any further
   because NetworkManager is not there and avahi-autoipd doesn't know it)
 * stop avahi-autoipd with Control/C
 * ifconfig eth0 169.254.6.0

After this, the XO icons will appear on the Neighbourhood View.  On
reboot, everything is back to normal.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/