[Sugar-devel] seeking feedback on sketch of a new color selector

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Mon Dec 7 05:37:52 EST 2009

On 12/06/2009 11:05 PM, Walter Bender wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 8:54 PM, Simon Schampijer<simon at schampijer.de>  wrote:
>> On 11/12/2009 09:32 AM, Walter Bender wrote:
>>> Thanks for all the feedback.
>>
>> Hi Walter,
>>
>> thanks for your work on this Feature and for using the Feature Policy.
>> Your Feature has been accepted for the 0.88 sucrose release cycle for
>> the following reasons:
>>
>> - your Feature is supported by the community (as seen in this email
>> thread) and backed up by many requests from the field
>> - a design is available and has been discussed (in this thread too)
>> - you have been following the Feature policy guidelines [1]
>> - a full Feature page is available [2]
>
> yeah :)
>
>> The Feature has been accepted and is listed at the 0.88 Feature page [3].
>>
>> It would be great to land this Feature in the next development release
>> (Sucrose 0.87.2) [4]. Please work with the maintainer of the Sugar
>> module [5] (Tomeu) to include it.
>>
>> [1] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Policy
>> [2] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Enhanced_color_selector
>> [3] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/0.88/Feature_List
>> [4] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/0.88/Roadmap#Schedule
>> [5] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Development_Team/Release/Modules
>>
>> ----
>
> Should be doable, depending on how ambitious we get about refactoring
> me of the existing code.

Of course. Just follow the review process and I am sure we can land it
in time ;p

>> A few questions:
>> - in the Feature page you mention the 'random selector', is this option
>> still available in the latest design?
>
> This is still in the new design in that I didn't remove it from the
> code. (If you click on the central XO icon, you get a random color as
> before.) It is a decision I leave to the design team.

Ok. Maybe the design team want to comment if they think that the random
functionality is a good one to have.

>> - you mention a keyboard shortcut (Ctrl-Z), which is a standard way to
>> undo an action: is it right that the undo option is removed and that
>> this shortcut is then not needed anymore, too?
>
> There is an invisiable icon that provides the undo fuctionality.

Invisible because you want to use the accelerator of the widget? How
would one know about the shortcut if there is no visible indication?

In general having an undo functionality is great - here it might be
confusing. I mean we have an option to dismiss the whole CP section if
we are not happy at all with the color we have chosen.

> think thatit is important if we keep the random function.) I do have a
> technical probem to sort out with Tomeu regarding the various widgets
> I am using for the buttons. I cannot seem to find a way to include
> both keyboard accelration and the ability to update the icon color
> either in Suar toolkit or in the hulahop code. Hence the comment above
> about more invasive changes.

Ok.

Regards,
    Simon