[Sugar-devel] [FEATURE] [DESIGN] for Journal Plugins feature

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Mon Dec 7 04:57:01 EST 2009

On 12/07/2009 05:58 AM, Aleksey Lim wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 06, 2009 at 11:56:09PM +0000, Gary C Martin wrote:

>>> Can anyway relate these benefits from actual requests from deployments?
>>>
>>> I think this is something that would be good to do in Sugar at some
>>> point, but I'm not convinced we are yet in the best moment for that.
>>

>> I can't see us finding the right solution for the whole action/object view concept/requirements in the next few months. The Journal_Plugins idea seem rather scary to me at the moment, and has a very broad effect that would need much design work (security, UI confusion, documentation issues). Now I admit I was hoping we had another shot at including the thumbnail view for 0.88 (thumbnails would seem to be a genuine improvement for finding/browsing many Journal entry types, and likely the default view for kids)... Perhaps just adding the thumbnail image (if available) to the Journal hover palette could be a low risk improvement we could agree on? The design intent seems to go way back in Sugar history, so lightly has plenty of supporters.
>
> The core idea of plugins is exactly to avoid situation when we have to
> release fat UI change set, plugins let us decentralize existed scheme
> when entirely sugar design(not only UI) depends on what core team
> thinks. We just provide usable toolset developers cold use to implement
> what they think.
>
> [1] proposes UI changes in [2] but plugins API could be implemented w/o
> any UI changes at all - user will see the same Journal(but it will be
> Journal plugin). The idea is let developers make plugin out of sucrose
> release cycle, yeah developers could do it in pure activities(but see
> [3]) and even out of sugar at all, but imho it will be useful(in all
> cases, not only technical) to initiate/support/organize such process
> from core.
>
> [3] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Journal_Plugins#Detailed_Description

Generally the idea of plugins is interesting - it always adds
extensibility and make parts exchangeable. In the Journal case it is the
support for different pluggable views. Looking just at the idea: great!

Let's take a concrete example of a scenario with different views that is
floating around: the action/object view. While there have been some pros
for the change to have these two views, the implementation could be done
using plugins or not. From a technical point of view: while having to
change code it might be a good moment to add a plugin structure.

I agree with Tomeu in the question: "has this Feature of pluggable views
been asked by the community?".

In the arguments we list: "encourage developers to create new views".
How many deployments will write their own view because they miss a
Feature? As a deployer I would ask myself: "When writing my own view I
am off the mainline track. No support from the community etc." It might
be interesting for testing purposes. I can modify/add a new view and it
can be easily distributed for testing.

Furthermore we say: "having plugins we don't stick to sugar releases,
deployers could create/change plugins that support not only last sugar
but version which is in deployment". Are deployments really blocked by
the Sucrose release cycle to see changes in the Journal views happen?

Putting my deployment head on, updating is a non-trivial task. I have
only 30 machines running Sugar - but I do not change/tweak them
constantly as it is just quite some work to do. And from my technical
background I would be able to. I still run 0.84 just because it takes
effort and time to update.

I am a bit torn. Maybe the arguments are just not the right ones and
from a technical point of view for supporting different views it might
make sense to have a plugin structure (if not a lot of overhead).

Regards,
    Simon