[Sugar-devel] 0.84 maintenance

Wade Brainerd wadetb at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 19:26:13 EST 2009

On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 6:26 PM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 6:20 PM, Gary C Martin <gary at garycmartin.com> wrote:
>>> I think this is a current policy of the activity team?
>>
>> The word policy seems a little official, but yes, I'd certainly not want one of the activities I help maintain to intentionally break under 0.84 (or 0.82 for that matter).

Yeah, that's my feeling as well.

> On the other hand, it is getting to be more and more difficult as an
> activity developer to keep on top of all the details necessary to
> maintain backward compatibility. The toolbar is one thing--but changes
> to journal interactions, json, rainbow, drivers, etc. are less
> easy--for me--to juggle.

Aleksey's sugar-ports [1] library helps mitigate this for me.  You
just copy modules such as json, toolbar, objectpicker, etc. from
sugar-ports into your activity and use them instead of the native
Sugar APIs.

> However, testing is probably the biggest
> issue. Not sure what the best course of action is--perhaps any large
> deployment that is running an old Sugar could assign a testing team to
> that version to provide feedback to activity developers?

Agreed - Though, as long as users are getting activities via ASLO,
hopefully they are using the Support links when things are broken.

-Wade

[1] http://git.sugarlabs.org/projects/sugar-port