[Sugar-devel] 0.84 maintenance

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 18:26:42 EST 2009

On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 6:20 PM, Gary C Martin <gary at garycmartin.com> wrote:
> Hi Tomeu,
>
> On 6 Dec 2009, at 21:19, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
>
>> 2009/12/1 Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org>:
>>
>>> Also on this topic - we will certainly run into issues where activities
>>> themselves progress beyond the Sugar-0.84 platform; if activity authors
>>> could work to minimize these cases (i.e. keep backwards compatibility,
>>> remain responsive to bugs) it would help us avoid a huge headache, and
>>> will help your activities spread to various corners of the globe.
>>
>> I think this is a current policy of the activity team?
>

> The word policy seems a little official, but yes, I'd certainly not want one of the activities I help maintain to intentionally break under 0.84 (or 0.82 for that matter).

On the other hand, it is getting to be more and more difficult as an
activity developer to keep on top of all the details necessary to
maintain backward compatibility. The toolbar is one thing--but changes
to journal interactions, json, rainbow, drivers, etc. are less
easy--for me--to juggle. However, testing is probably the biggest
issue. Not sure what the best course of action is--perhaps any large
deployment that is running an old Sugar could assign a testing team to
that version to provide feedback to activity developers?

-walter

> Regards,
> --Gary

Walter Bender