[Sugar-devel] [FEATURE] TableView Widget request for inclusion to 0.88

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Sun Dec 6 08:37:07 EST 2009

On 11/28/2009 05:00 AM, Aleksey Lim wrote:
> Hi all,

Hi Aleksey,

thanks for proposing this feature!

> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/TableView_Widget
>
> GTK widget to replace gtk.TreeView in Journal.
>
> Benefit to Sugar
>
> Standard gtk components are not designed to be lazy. Third party
> widgets, I managed to find, uses scheme with renders(like gtk
> components), introduced component uses widgets instead(could have
> performance penalties, I guess, in common case but we don't have many
> rows in Journal view, so should be ok for us).

Can you elaborate on this? Instead of using the cell renderers to draw
the data in the tree model we would pack widgets?

> Benefits we have for such scheme:

Can you describe the benefit for a user? Faster scrolling?

> * coding cells is more useful by using widgets then renders, we can
>    reuse our existed custom widgets instead of coding sugarized cell
>    renders
> * in some cases its hard to sugarize cells theme(we still have
>    ugly progress bar for Journal entries), with new widget, we
>    use just gtk.ProgressBar

Don't we use the gtk.ProgressBar already? Or do you mean it would just
look better?

> There is an ongoing discussion in gnome community about replacing
> GtkTreeView, not sure if new widget is ready to use for 0.88 and since
> Journal's view widget is pretty simple we can use our own
> simple implementation(360 lines of code).

Do you have pointers to the GNOME discussion? I found that snippet from
someone having the same problem:
http://www.mail-archive.com/gtk-app-devel-list@gnome.org/msg12127.html

Do you have written some code already?

Thanks,