[Sugar-devel] User workflow sharing "Journal Entries" over USB sticks

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 15:59:31 EST 2009

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 12:44 PM, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 12:33 PM, Martin Langhoff
> <martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On os34, if I
>
> Filed it as http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/9657 - can't find anything on
> this topic on the SL trac; apparently the usage on SoaS has seen other
> bugs when saving to a USB stick (like
> http://dev.sugarlabs.org/ticket/995 ) so maybe it hasn't been
> used/tested.

Been workingon this, I have a solution for the backend problem, but
need help with a couple of UI glitches where I cannot understand how
the inter-widget-object messaging is supposed to go.

 I have 4 patches that fix this up so that we DTRT - attached in
http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/9657

    * 0001-Removable-disk-Save-metadata-and-preview-dlo-9657.patch
    * 0002-Removable-disk-read-json-formatted-.metadata-and-.pr.patch
    * 0003-Removable-disk-Handle-renames-dlo-9657.patch
    * 0004-Removable-disk-delete-preview-and-metadata-dlo-9657.patch

With this

    * We save the files with their correct metadata
    * Read the metadata back, display it, copy it correctly into the
DS, and search descriptions/tags if the user runs a search
    * Renames and removes are handled correctly on-disk
(metadata/preview files are renamed or removed

The results are not perfect, as we have UI glitches -- on delete the
file listing doesn't remove the file 'collapsedentry'; on rename, the
new name is shown until you touch the scrollbar, there it reverts to
the old name.

To fix those UI glitches we need to issue a message to the
InplaceResultSet instance somehow... except that we don't have a
handle to it. I also attempted to do something like
http://git.sugarlabs.org/projects/sugar/repos/mainline/commits/b0113bf67c31dbeaa08cf0f1710c1be8d02a9b25
which sure looks right, but didn't work for me.

Triggering these actions from the UI widget objects makes it all
overly confusing to a newcomer like me. The ocassional dbus message
makes it even more entertaining.

In any case, the patches bring the backend behaviour to correctness.
With some help we can also address the UI glitches (or punt and deal
with them with later).

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions