[Sugar-devel] adding 3G devices support to sugar

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Thu Dec 3 15:03:51 EST 2009

On 3 Dec 2009, at 19:38, Raul Gutierrez Segales wrote:

> On Thu, 2009-12-03 at 14:25 -0500, Eben Eliason wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 1:44 PM, Martin Abente <mabente at paraguayeduca.org> wrote:
>>> Today i finished the systray device icon. (but i still need the icon
>>> graphic... any artist around?)
>>
>> I'd be happy to sketch some icons. Do you have any suggestions or
>> examples of what an appropriate icon might be for a 3G modem?
>>
>> As far as I know, they come in all shapes and sizes—including, of
>> course, cell phones—and I'm not sure there is an accepted or easily
>> recognizable form for an icon.
>
> Some cultural background:
>
> Here in Paraguay people call 3G modems "a soap" (jabón) since almost all
> of them are small and it has a sopa-like shape. You hear it all the time
> "can you lend me your soap"..
>
> Perhaps a little soap might be meaningful for other deployments? Maybe
> not :)
>
> Raúl
>
> P.S.: IIRC a telco here started a marketing campaign in which they
> coined that phrase (3G modem == soap).

For what it's worth, during the G3 thread I've always pictured a simple mobile phone shape (rounded rectangle 'soap' shape with a display and a few buttons) with 2 or 3 of arcs radiating from one corner to represent wireless signal (perhaps move arcs to left or right phone edge to make icon more square).

Is there a control panel module for configuring the G3 settings? Will likely want to use the same or very similar icon in both locations.

Regards,
--Gary