[Sugar-devel] OLPC updates from ASLO

Aleksey Lim alsroot at member.fsf.org
Tue Dec 1 12:13:07 EST 2009

On Tue, Dec 01, 2009 at 07:51:32AM +0000, Daniel Drake wrote:
> 2009/12/1 Aleksey Lim <alsroot at member.fsf.org>:
> > AFAIK OLPC will use 0.84 release and will lack of native sugar updater
> > but it could be useful idea to keep activities repository in one place.
>
> We are using the sugar control panel applet for activity updates as we
> have done before.
>
> > So, the question is will html page which lists all ASLO activities in
> > microformat enough for OLPC updater.
>
> Having the microformat on ASLO would be great and I never understood
> why this wasn't the approach taken in the first place, rather than the
> considerable task of adding some strange XML format support to the
> updater applet for later versions.
>
> The great thing about the microformat is that not only did it provide
> an interface for those of us single-users who have fast internet
> connections, it was designed inherently for simplicity, scalability
> and replication, and came with a decent amount of documentation of how
> you would replicate this on a deployment. The XML thing seems to be
> lacking in those areas.
>
> However I think there are 2 additional things that would block moving
> the activity group to ASLO:
>  1. It's not possible to create a group with specific locked versions,
> right? One reason for doing it separately is that we want to control
> the flow of activity updates pushed to customers. I'm concerned that
> activities are not seeing much QA or testing and regressions are too
> easy to come by. I'm also concerned that the amount of testing that
> developers do on 0.84 before marking activities as 0.84-compatible
> will decrease over the next few months/years.

ASLO has several levels of "QA", all public activities(reviewed by
editors) should work(w/o obvious faults), public activities could be
featured by editor, editor collections of public activities. So, we can
utilize this scheme for OLPC needs.

>  2. No content bundle support

Yeah, but thats the question should we mix activities and other kinds
of sugar objects. Different types could require different UI or
different uploading scheme.

--
Aleksey