[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] UI mockups

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Sat Aug 22 11:18:28 EDT 2009

Hi Aleksey,

On 22 Aug 2009, at 15:05, Aleksey Lim wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 05:12:34PM +0200, Simon Schampijer wrote:
>> [forwarded from christian]
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've attached two (annotated) PDFs with mockups of the issues we
>> talked
>> about on Sunday. The first has several options for the Journal,
>> exploring various toolbars, the grid view, and tagging; the second
>> looks
>> at simple vs. complex toolbars in activities.
>>
>> Make sure you read the annotations, and let me know what you think.
>> Once
>> we have reached a consensus, I can generate PNGs and post to the
>> wiki.
>>

>> Christian
>>
>> PS. Let's also figure out a time to chat, unless email seems
>> sufficient.
>> I can be available for a short time around 10am (EST)/2pm (UTC)
>> tomorrow
>> morning, if necessary.
>>
>> [1] http://shell.sugarlabs.org/~erikos/090818_journal_thumbnails.pdf
>> [2] http://shell.sugarlabs.org/~erikos/090818_toolbars.pdf
>
> You can try Thumbs view implementation from cloned repo[3]
> or see screenshot[4].

Hey wow fantastic, I didn't think thumb view was going to make it
in! :-)

> In comparing with mockups it has lack of multi selection and sorting
> features, I heard that we are not in consensus on that(?)
> * using check boxes of Shift key to multi select

Well I'm for the Shift key for multi select :-) but whatever selection
method is used, it would need to be consistent with the list view as
well, and need its functions thought through carefully (e.g. multi
item erase, copy, favourite, send to... etc). Seems like a large
project all of it's own so likely best not to try and add multi select
now.

> * using title like buttons[5] or something else

Again, different types of sorting seems not well thought through for
Journal list and thumb view, likely best not to try and add that
feature until we have solid designs & requirements. Using the various
existing toolbar filters seems good enough.

> Also I moved details button from cell bottom to the left.

I'd be tempted to put it right below the star icon (see mock-up below)

> [3] http://git.sugarlabs.org/projects/sugar/repos/thumbs

I haven't tested yet, will try and see if I can get this working in my
sugar-jhbuild set-up later.

> [4] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/File:Thumbs.png
> [5] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Design_Team/Designs/Journal#10

Based on your Thumbs.png I made some quick tweaks:

	http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/File:Thumb_view_mockup_edit_gary.png

- Titles are bold to help separate them from the date text
- Details button has been moved up under star so buttons are together
- Extra vertical space added between each row of thumbs so title is
far from next thumb below
- Title text moved closer to its own thumb, again to make sure
matching text and thumb are seen together

Cant wait to give this a try out :-)

Regards,
--Gary